Friday, June 19, 2009

Tread lightly...

For those of you that know who my wife Kelly is you can feel free to approach her at the game this weekend. Don't be alarmed if it takes you a moment to get her attention because she tends to watch the action on the field pretty closely. My understanding is that she's not in quite the zone these days now that I'm coaching as she was back when I played but it does still take a little effort for her to stop following the game and start chatting people up.

DON'T GET ME WRONG! This isn't at all because she's antisocial! Those of you who've met her know that she's an exceedingly pleasant person (and quite attractive I might add). The thing about the football games is that she actually wants to pay attention to what's going on. It's not just about watching the big guys run into each other. She has a genuine interest in dissecting what's taking place on the field.

Many of you already know this but I'll go ahead and say it for those who don't....Kelly is one of, if not THE, biggest sports fans (male or female) that you'll ever meet. She's always been like that since even before I met her when she was an All American athlete back at the University of Iowa. This fact is a large part of what led to us starting a friendship way back when and has since led her into the pursuit of a career in sports broadcasting.

In most cases I would warn you about breaking her focus on game day but I'll make an exception this time for a good reason. This Saturday, June 20th 2009 will be the 6 year mark since we got married back in her hometown of Falmouth, MA. So with game night being both military night and our anniversary night I think you'll be safe enough to call out to her and wish her a Happy Anniversary. I believe the last 6 years have put her in a good enough mood to accept the well wishes even at a key moment in the action, but at least if she grabs the nearest blunt object and starts beating you over the head with it there will be some military personnel nearby to get her to stand down.

I won't be able to help you out. I'll be kinda busy.

No comments:

Post a Comment