Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Our Country Debut...Don't Blink....

Many of you know that when I’m not losing my voice yelling at Vipers players and game referees I spend the rest of my time in the world of sports and entertainment broadcasting. Some new opportunities to do additional things have been coming up lately and one of them will air tonight. I’d normally try to give more notice for you to watch but this came up very last minute for me also and Kelly and I just shot it yesterday in Nashville.

For the first time in my life I plan to watch, and encourage others to watch, a program on CMT. This is not because I’m curious what colors Brookes and Dunn have dyed their hair or who shows up with the most gallons in their cowboy hat. No…I’ll be tuning in because my wife Kelly and I will be a part of the CMT Awards show airing tonight (Tuesday June 16th at 7pm central).

We were booked to do a scene for the opening skit of the show with the host Bill Engvall and singer Taylor Swift. A phone call came in Sunday night and we were at the Sommet Center in Nashville on Monday morning. It was pretty fun and very interesting to see things behind the curtain at a big awards show. I don’t keep up with these things as well as I should so you guys probably know better than me that Bill Engvall is a part of the Blue Collar Comedy Tour with Jeff Foxworthy and now has his own show on TBS. Taylor Swift has apparently turned into a very big deal in country music.

Oh and I forgot to mention that Kelly Pickler is in the skit also. We weren’t on camera with her because they film these things out of sequence but we did get to meet her and some other names and faces that we would know and appreciate if we were up on our country music knowledge a little better. I was worried I wouldn’t be able to tell Swift and Pickler apart when they got there but I was told to look for a significant difference in height and that was apparent when they arrived. Taylor is a giant next to Pickler! The good part is that they were all very nice and we got a photo signed for Kelly’s sister who is a huge country fan.

Look for us standing next to Taylor in the very opening skit of the show before they go live for Bill’s opening monologue. I play her bodyguard and Kelly plays one of her personal assistants. We don’t know exactly how they framed shots up and edited them later but we should be easy to find. We weren’t quite able to steal the scene but it was a lot of fun just to be involved.

I look forward to seeing everybody this Saturday for Military Night!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment